Academic leadership cohort
About the cohort
The purpose of academic leadership is to clarify, implement, prioritize, and protect the school’s model of education. For classical schools, in particular, this model is the most important distinctive of the school, which means that being attentive to it is crucial to the very mission of the school. The person most responsible for academic leadership, therefore, plays a necessary role that cannot be overlooked in any school that desires to be healthy. However, academic leadership can be difficult to implement, given that many schools do not have an official position named “Academic Dean” or “Director of Instruction.” And even when a school does have such a position, the tendency in administrative work is to let priorities be dictated by the most pressing problems and not by a sustained vision for academic health.
The good news is that there is a process by which academic leadership can function productively, being a source of strength to the admin team and a source of encouragement to the faculty and families. This cohort will walk you through that process and support you in fulfilling the purpose of academic leadership at your school.
Meeting Dates and Time: Beginning on September 12th, the Academic Leadership Cohort will meet every fourth Monday at 7:30pm Eastern time.
Meet Your Cohort Leader
Anchor Documents for Creating and Maintaining Alignment
- One: Portrait of a Graduate, Portrait of a Faculty Member, Portrait of a Student
- Two: Professional Development and Curricular Alignment
- Three: Faculty and Parent Alignment; Principles of Partnership
Understanding the Model of Education and How to Implement It
- Four: Common Vocabulary and Goals
- Five: Curricular Practices
- Co-curriculars, Extra Curriculars, Electives, and Class Trips
- Academic Support, Sequencing, Tracking, and Giftedness
- Hard Decisions—Hiring/Firing, Admitting/Expelling
- Parent Education
- School Profile and Transcript
Academic Leadership Cohort
SCL Member Schools receive 10% discount
Monthly Payment Options Available
Joining a cohort
Please reach out to Sarah Spencer at firstname.lastname@example.org