At Founders Classical Academies we promote a two thousand year old liberal arts and sciences tradition. Our school is classical, but it is also, in a manner of speaking, cutting edge. In fact, we promote the somewhat countercultural notion that students are made for, and should be educated for, much more than jobs and careers. We view students for who and what they are, dignified human beings endowed with natural rights and gifts. With this in mind, we have a tremendous responsibility to help parents cultivate students and their gifts so they can live good and happy lives in a state of liberty. This is the essence of a liberal arts education.
THIS POSITION WILL BE A HOME-BASED OFFICE WORKING ENVIRONMENT
TEACHER MUST RESIDE WITHIN THE STATE OF TEXAS
- Texas State Teacher’s Certification as Elementary Generalist or Elementary Self-Contained Teacher
- Bachelor’s degree with a passing score on an ExCET/TExES Exam in grade level or content area to be taught
- Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education
- Bachelor’s degree with an academic minor or major (minimum of 18 credit hours) in the core academic subject areas to be taught.
- Bachelor’s degree and documented successful, relevant work experience in the content area to be taught, established by at least one year of employment in a specific field or occupation that required the educator to demonstrate knowledge or skill in the content area. This is to be supported by a professional letter of recommendation from the educator’s employer or supervisor.
- Successful completion of the Texas Virtual School Network (TxVSN) training for online educators
- Successfully complete a professional development course or program approved by TxVSN;
- Have a graduate degree in online or distance learning; Have two or more years of documented experience teaching online courses for students in Grades 3-12; AND successfully complete continuing professional development specific to online learning every three years.
- Experience teaching in a classical school, or experience teaching with classical traditional methods
- 1-3 years online teaching experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs), and Dispositions
- Passion for students
- Passion for and strong knowledge of the instructional academic content
- Ability to model virtue, teach virtue through the curriculum, and cultivate habits of virtue in students
- Understanding of and passion for classical education
- Ability to teach in an online environment without home-based distractions
- Ability to learn and implement online classical curricula and teaching methods using a variety of online platforms and tools
- Well-developed communication skills in both an in-person and online environment with various stakeholders including, but not limited to, students, parents, colleagues, administration, and central office personnel.
- Ability to maintain a classroom of approximately 20-27 students
- Ability and patience to work interactively with students
- Ability to understand the academic needs of students
- Strong organizational, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to communicate with all levels of students, their parents, the community, peers, campus administration, superintendents, and corporate staff
- Ability to interpret policy, procedures, and student data such as diagnostic test results, state assessments scoring, and grade point average
- Ability to transition with changes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities effectively
- Ability to travel as necessary (i.e. field trips, class trips, trainings, etc.)
- Computer literacy
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Prepare effective lessons, instruct, and motivate students in all course study utilizing classical traditional methods of instruction.
- Assign lessons and correct classwork and homework in a timely manner.
- Administer formative and summative assessments to evaluate student progress, record results, and issue reports to inform parents of progress.
- Provide academic interventions for struggling students.
- Maintain student grades and student-parent communication via the school’s online grading and communication tool.
- Maintain discipline in the online classroom.
- Maintain an online classroom that is conducive to learning, safe, attractive, and stimulates a spirit of inquiry.
- Regularly communicate with students and parents to discuss student progress – positive and negative.
- Participate in required faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences and teacher training workshops.
- Inspire, praise, and correct students with consistency, care, and interest to encourage academic success and promote virtue.
- Work closely with Special Education and 504 teachers to ensure accommodations are implemented.
- Perform duties such as sponsoring one or more activities or student organizations, assisting students in selecting courses of study, and counseling students in adjustment and academic problems.
- Actively participate in marketing and student recruiting activities as necessary.
- Perform special projects, during and after school hours, and other duties as assigned (after school hours may include, but are not limited to, tutoring, pageants, and award ceremonies).
- Read and comply with the RES Employee Handbook, the RES Student-Parent Handbook, the Founders Classical Academy Campus Handbook, and other RES-Founders manuals and procedures documents.
- Perform all other duties as assigned