Athletic Director Job Description:
Full-time year-round salaried position with competitive benefits in a classical Christian education ministry context. The Athletic Director provides vision and oversight for the entire athletic program in delivering the mission of PCA in partnership with the academic leadership team. The athletic program at PCA supports the overarching mission of PCA with the goal of producing the ideal PCA graduate—students who are spiritually vibrant, intellectually curious, socially mature, and culturally engaged.
We are seeking an experienced coach with a record of success in loving students well and on the court and/or field (preferably basketball, soccer, or baseball). The Athletic Director we seek will be highly skilled in discipling followers of Jesus that will build a robust athletic program around developing young men and women into strong, passionate, resilient Christ-centered disciples.
The Athletic Director works on campus performing various administrative tasks, as well as away from campus attending fund-raising events and games. This position requires some travel to away games and includes some nights and weekend hours.
Serving the Mission of Providence Classical Academy
Providence Classical Academy is growing private classical Christian school with 500 students in Bossier City, Louisiana. Providence’s growth is contributed to our aim and our teachers’ success in connecting the classroom with excellence and discipleship. Our developing athletic program includes girls’ and boys’ basketball, softball, baseball and cross-country. The new Athletic Director will continue to grow and improve these teams and add soccer to the program. An essential goal for the new Athletic Director is to emphasize discipleship as more integral part of our athletic program, in a way that nurtures Christ-centered character and adds a critical element to the culture of our high school.
Characteristics of the Athletic Director at Providence:
- Devoted Christ follower with a heart and calling for Christian ministry and commitment to continual Christian growth.
- Passionate about the formation of virtue in athletes. The main goal of the athletic program in a classical Christian setting is training and influencing athletes towards becoming flourishing disciples and leaders.
- High relational aptitude with exceptional interpersonal skills that fosters robust interactions with school leadership, other athletic directors, coaches, parents, and students.
- An exceptional model of responsibility and duty towards all authority: God, neighbor, and self.
- Proven servant leader with a track record in helping coaches, athletes, and teams reach their full potential.
- Content in behind-the-scenes work of mentoring coaches and putting teams in a position to succeed.
- Self-motivated and directed towards working unto God and not unto mankind.
- Displays fortitude, perseverance, and the ability to work well under stress.
- Possesses congenial attitude with league officials.
- Communicates with clarity, understanding, and humility in all verbal and written communications.
- Maintain confidentially.
- Problem solver with the ability to plan ahead and proactively act to minimalize problems.
- Organized with keen administrative skills in staying current on the various rules and regulations, schedules, budget figures, and information on personnel.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee all aspects of the athletic program, including guidance and direction for a school’s sports program, hiring and mentoring coaches, scheduling, budget preparation and decisions, ordering and purchasing uniforms and equipment, compliance to rules and regulations, and gym/field facility management.
- Effectively communicates mission and vision for the athletic program at PCA with parents, students, donors, and the community.
- Develop, direct, and maintain healthy relationships with all coaches.
- Coordinate with coaches and set practice and game schedules.
- Coordinate officials and umpires at games and budget for their pay
- Serve on a team of mission minded school administrators under the direct supervision of the Head of School.
- Attend weekly collaborative leadership meetings.
Leadership Duties and Responsibilities
- Train, develop, mentor, and evaluate the coaching staff.
- Foster collegial relationship with the High School Coordinator to minimalize disruptions to classroom aims and to assure that student-athletes are academically eligible for a given sport.
- Coordinate with coaches and Director of Operations on travel plans for away games and tournaments in addition to managing time allocations for fields and courts.
- Coordinate with Facilities Manager on all issues with gym and field maintenance.
- Foster relationships with conferences and league personnel.
- Mediate any disputes between athletes and coaches or between coaches.
- Oversee students’ and parents’ behavior at sporting events to ensure it is in line with school and league regulations.
Education, Training, & Certification
- Earned a bachelor’s degree in education, physical education, or a related field.
- Experience as a teacher, coach and/or mentor is essential
- Prefer coaching experience in basketball, baseball, softball, or soccer.
- Classical Christian educational experience is a plus.