Veritas School is a community of over 600 students and 90 faculty with a beautiful campus in Richmond's historic Northside. At Veritas, we believe that a good education plays the long game, and we seek to prepare students not only for college but for life. We offer a robust JK-12 classical education in a joyous and Christ-centered environment using a curriculum that is rooted in our belief that all areas of study provide opportunities to discern and emulate the True, the Good, and the Beautiful. Veritas School is fully accredited and has consistently won local Top Workplace awards for creating a culture where employees feel engaged, appreciated and fulfilled.
The Athletic Director reports directly to the Head of School and is a member of the senior leadership team. He or she develops and supervises the athletic personnel, programming, and resources. The Athletic Director is an integral part of the mission of the school, providing Christian mentoring and shepherding to students.
Mission and Vision
Athletics at Veritas have the school’s mission as their aim—to cultivate students of wisdom and virtue. Along with all parts of the school, athletics at Veritas seek to form flourishing young adults who possess the qualities listed in the Portrait of a Graduate*.
- Develop, organize, supervise, and evaluate a developmentally appropriate program of interscholastic athletics for the entire school.
- Ensure that all coaching positions are filled with competent and properly trained coaches.
- Regularly meeting with coaches to discuss job performance, player/parent issues, etc.; provide both support and accountability to stated goals and expectations.
- Establish clear and concise rules for athlete, coach, and parent conduct at events.
- Establish positive culture and a clear feedback system.
- Collaborate with the Head of School and Administration to recruit, evaluate, and hire faculty to the athletic department.
- Annually review and revise the athletic handbook, in collaboration with the senior leadership.
- Prepare and manage an annual departmental budget.
- In collaboration with the school nursing staff and the Chief Business Officer, develop and maintain an EAP (emergency action plan) for all sites where Veritas School holds practices and contests.
- Oversee the scheduling all athletic events, arrange for transportation, hire all game officials, and attend or enlist a school representative to attend all home games.
- Maintain close communication with the Head of the Upper School with respect to early dismissals, and maintain communication and cooperation with the Administration regarding calendar limitations on athletics.
- Represent the school at various state, regional, and national athletic associations, including the leagues in which Veritas teams participate.
- Report athletic achievements to the advancement office for dissemination to the school and community at large.
- Maintain records of team and individual athletic accomplishments for posterity.
- Oversee the ordering, distribution, collection, storage, and cleaning of athletic uniforms.
- Participate in committee, department, and staff meetings as well as school-sponsored events where appropriate and helpful.
- Be involved in the school community at large, maintaining high visibility and availability.
- Ensure equipment and facilities are functioning properly and set up for home athletic contests.
- Procure off-site facilities for practices and contests as needed (e.g., tennis courts, soccer fields, basketball and volleyball courts for middle school teams).
- Ensure a plan exists for an athletic trainer to be present for all home contests.
- Coordinate with business office to keep vehicles in proper working order.
- Commitment to Veritas vision, mission, and core beliefs
- Mature Christian commitment, identity, and practice
- Genuine love for students
- Emotional stability
- Leadership Skills - Ability to organize, motivate, coach, and problem-solve
- Communication Skills - Articulate and well-spoken
- People Skills - High emotional/social intelligence, connects easily with parents, staff, and students
- Organizational Skills - Ability to stay on top of projects, systems, and tasks
- Basic understanding of the sports sponsored by Veritas School
- Knowledge of the college recruitment process
Ideal Candidate Characteristics
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Experience in coaching and/or experience as an AD or assistant AD
- Successful track record working with student athletes, preferably in independent schools
*Portrait of a Graduate
Veritas faculty, staff, and parents seek to cultivate graduates who:
- Understand and believe the Gospel, enjoying a growing faith in Jesus Christ.
- Participate in the local body of Christ.
- Study Scripture, pray, and serve faithfully.
- Read deeply and charitably; reason truthfully and rigorously.
- Speak and write with wisdom and eloquence.
- Engage creation with wonder, pursuing beauty and working diligently.
- Love and serve Christ the King, bringing shalom by sharing the Gospel and acting for the good of others.