The Stony Brook School is seeking an experienced and innovative educator to teach upper level and advanced Chinese courses beginning August 2019. This is an exciting opportunity to work at one of the country’s most prestigious Christian academic institutions as a member of a talented and dedicated faculty. All candidates should have demonstrable Christian commitment and an educational philosophy that is consistent with The Stony Brook School’s mission statement.
The strongest candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chinese Language or Chinese education required, with a master’s degree strongly preferred
- Three or more years of Chinese teaching experience, up to AP level preferred but not required
- High energy, high career ambition, and strong ability to connect with teenagers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Eagerness to serve in a faith-based learning environment that emphasizes faithful Christian scholarship and character formation
- Proficiency with technology and a desire to incorporate technology into the classroom
- Ability to differentiate instruction effectively in block periods
- Ability to develop language immersion field trip courses around Long Island and New York City
- Experience working as part of a collaborative team of teachers
- Ability to interact professionally with a globally diverse group of parents and school community members
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development and lifelong learning
- Maturity and stability sufficient for a demanding position
In addition to the typical teaching load of four to five sections, Stony Brook faculty members contribute to all aspects of boarding school life, including evening and weekend supervisory duties, coaching, chaperoning, proctoring study halls, and overseeing meals. The Stony Brook School particularly seeks candidates who are enthusiastic about living in a dormitory apartment and providing residential life leadership. Compensation is commensurate with experience and education and includes housing, some utilities, meals, excellent health insurance, and a retirement plan.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter via email to the Academic Dean, Sean Riley, at email@example.com and fill out the application for employment at https://www.stonybrookschool.org/page/employment-application.