The Covenant School, an independent Christian Liberal Arts and Sciences school for pre-kindergarten through grade 12 located in Charlottesville, Virginia, is seeking to fill a full-time position for a Director of Academic Support.
The Director of Academic Support (PK – 12) is responsible for planning, implementing, and overseeing the academic support staff and initiatives on the Birdwood and Hickory campuses. The director will track student academic progress, coordinate student accommodations, conduct consultations with students and parents to create individualized support plans, and provide training and collaboration with staff to better support students in the classroom.
Successful applicants will have:
- A mature and thoughtful commitment to Christ;
- Thorough understanding of professional ethics and confidentiality;
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university, Master’s degree preferred;
- Prior experience in educational intervention and/or student support programs;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent organizational skills and time management;
- Strong information technology skills and an aptitude for problem-solving;
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently;
- A track record of follow-through and of consistently meeting deadlines;
- Attention to details and accuracy; and
- Experience with office-based computer software including: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Google Drive/Mail/Scheduling (Experience with Blackbaud is a plus).
Desired behaviors include:
- Approaches work with initiative and acceptable parameters;
- Makes thoughtful and prayerful decision without undue reliance on emotional responses;
- Prioritized building relationships and impacting students, parents, and colleagues;
- Exhibits appropriate behavior and professionalism in all situations;
- Communicates clearly, sensitively, and persuasively when interacting with stakeholders;
- Proactively plans for situations and circumstances;
- Assumes responsibility and ownership of work; and
- Thoroughly supports the mission of The Covenant School.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Create and implement a school-wide approach to providing academic support;
- Hire, supervise, and evaluate academic support staff (academic coaches, content specialists);
- Coordinate scheduling for academic support staff and students;
- Interpret psychological-educational testing to identify academic needs and implement accommodations;
- Make appropriate referrals for educational testing, academic coaching, and individual tutoring;
- Assist faculty and administrators with supplemental instructional methods and strategies;
- Organize the teaching of academic skills and habits through classroom lessons and/or small groups;
- Assist the admissions office in evaluating prospective students who may require additional support;
- Serve as a liaison between parents, students, and faculty; and
- Serve as a resource for parents to connect with outside services as needed.
Interested qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Cindy DeNome, Assistant to the Head of Upper School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.