Head of Middle School
Position Purpose: Oversee the educational programs and day-to-day operations of the Middle School at Saint Thomas’ Episcopal School (STE).
Reports to: Headmaster
Coordinates with: Department Heads
General Responsibilities Include:
- Maintain congruency between the STE mission statement and all activities within the Middle School.
- Review and develop the Middle School curriculum as directed by the Headmaster.
- Function as the chief articulator of Middle School programs, expectations, behavioral guidelines, and policies.
- Conduct informal and formal faculty evaluations and provide feedback.
- Advise faculty in need of instructional coaching, assist in authoring growth plans.
- Monitor and direct daily activities of faculty, including classroom management, procedures, duties, documentation in Veracross, and communication with parents.
- Make recommendations to the Headmaster regarding the hiring, retention, and assignment of faculty.
- Establish programs for the orientation of new teachers and for in-service training of all Middle School teachers.
- Act as the parent/student point of contact for matters that cannot be addressed by the homeroom or subject teacher.
- Assist in building the master schedule for the Middle School.
- Oversee student discipline and document disciplinary action.
- Make recommendations to support struggling students and document necessary procedures and actions.
- Evaluate standardized testing results.
- Serve on the Middle School admissions committee and conduct interviews and evaluations of prospective students/families.
- Create and send a periodic newsletter to the Middle School community highlighting upcoming events, recent accomplishments, and other items of interest.
- Oversee the coordination of trips, special programs, and events.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Headmaster.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Three to five years experience as a teacher or administrator in a classical, Christian school.
- An understanding of the pedagogy of a classical education, with the ability to lead faculty in teaching strategies focused on student classroom engagement.
- Knowledge and understanding of the social and emotional development of middle- school-aged students.
- Highly skilled in the following areas:
o Communication, both in writing and public speaking o Interpersonal relationship building and conflict management o Analytical/strategic thinking and problem solving o Organization and time management o Decision-making and delegation
Required Leadership Skills:
- A strong sense of ethics, loyalty, and integrity.
- The ability to be visible and accessible on campus, and to develop relationships with and enjoy the faculty, staff, parents, and students of STE.
- A warm, approachable presence that invites and respects the views of others, but is decisive when needed.
- Willingness to embrace the lifestyle of working in an independent school by being a team player and modeling excellence in job performance.
- An ability to synthesize and articulate the school’s educational vision with faculty members, students, and parents in a clear, concise, and timely manner.
Qualified applicants may submit a resume and completed application (available at stes.org) to Leah Faucett, Assistant to the Headmaster at email@example.com.