The Stony Brook School is seeking talented, missionally aligned teachers to serve as part-time instructors for our blended asynchronous/synchronous global online courses. We are hiring for all disciplines. The school’s complete catalog can be found on our website or by clicking this link. This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the country’s most prestigious Christian academic institutions as a member of a talented and dedicated faculty. All candidates should have demonstrable Christian commitment and an educational philosophy that is consistent with The Stony Brook School’s mission statement.
About The Stony Brook School
The Stony Brook School is an independent college preparatory school (grades 7-12) that exists to challenge young men and women to know Jesus Christ as Lord, to love others as themselves, and to grow in knowledge and skill, in order that they may serve the world through their character and leadership. Founded in 1922 with the motto “Character Before Career,” The Stony Brook School seeks to educate students in matters of the mind, body, and heart. Students are challenged to become leaders with integrity and virtue; character development is considered an essential component of the educational process. While students are presented with the gospel of Jesus Christ, they are free to maintain their personal spiritual beliefs.
The school is the #1 private school on Long Island as ranked by niche.com. 36% of The Stony Brook School Class of 2020 gained acceptance to the top 25 schools as ranked by U.S. News and World Reports. For more information, visit www.sbs.org.
- A Master’s degree in their subject area or in education with a concentration in their field of study
- At least three years of teaching experience
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet grading deadlines
- Strong work ethic, high energy, and strong ability to connect with teenagers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to respond quickly to all communications
- Eagerness to serve in a faith-based learning environment that emphasizes faithful Christian scholarship and character formation
- High proficiency with technology, including the ability to learn and utilize a learning management system, online software tools like Turnitin, VoiceThread, Formative, Quizlet, etc., and the ability to create screencasts and simple videos.
- Consistent and dependable high speed internet access
- Experience working as part of a collaborative team of teachers, openness to providing and receiving feedback as part of a culture of transparency
- Ability to interact professionally with parents and school community members
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity, as our students come from all over the world
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development and lifelong learning
- Maturity and stability sufficient for a demanding position
- Complete The Stony Brook School’s Online Teacher Training Course
- Participate in remote summer faculty meetings
- Teach one to two courses at most at a time
- Supplement existing asynchronous courses with some introductory materials (bio, video introduction) and some course content (screencast demo videos as needed to help students complete assignments or grasp concepts).
- Meet with students for Oxford-style Tutorials via Zoom teleconferencing software
- Grade quickly using established rubrics, communicate frequently with students and parents, track, diagnose, and troubleshoot issues, mentor, and disciple students.
- Occasionally travel to the school (expenses paid) for campus events and live classes.
- All instructors are part-time and are paid competitive stipends. They are paid per section of class taught.
- The school will run normally paced and intensively paced courses. 3 credit courses run for 36 weeks at normal pace or for 6 weeks at the intensive pace. 1 credit courses run for 12 weeks at normal pace or for 2 weeks at the intensive pace.
- We have a strong need for teachers of intensive courses in the following courses:
- AP United States History
- AP European History
- College-Level Ethics
- Faith & Culture in the 21st Century
- AP English Language and Composition
- AP English Literature
- English 11/12
- After the application process, instructors complete the online training course and then enter a pool from which the school will draw its teachers as sections become available.
- Year-long classes run from two weeks before Labor Day until the week before Memorial Day. Summer session runs from the last week of June to the first week of August.
- Intensive six-week courses start seven times throughout the school year: End of June, End of August, Mid-October, End of November, Mid-January, Early March, and Mid-April
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should fill out the SBS Online Teacher application.