Gravitas: A Global Extension of The Stony Brook School
About Gravitas: A Global Extension of The Stony Brook School
Gravitas is a program within The Stony Brook School that exists to cultivate moral, intellectual, and aesthetic virtue in students around the world so that they may discover their calling, unlock their God-given potential, and bring about the healing and flourishing of their communities.
Gravitas partners with churches, charities, and individual donors to make elite college preparatory and Christian character education accessible to academically talented students of all backgrounds, especially the poor, the oppressed, the orphaned, and the displaced.
Gravitas, a new online program within The Stony Brook School, is seeking a part-time teachers to further develop and then implement its self-paced online program. Candidates may apply for the corresponding Course Developer positions as well.
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the country’s most prestigious Christian academic institutions as a member of a talented faculty. All candidates should have demonstrable Christian commitment and an educational philosophy that is consistent with The Stony Brook School’s mission statement.
- A Master’s degree in their subject area or in education with a concentration in their field of study
- At least three years of teaching experience
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet grading deadlines
- Strong work ethic, high energy, and strong ability to connect with teenagers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to respond quickly to all communications
- Eagerness to serve in a faith-based learning environment that emphasizes faithful Christian scholarship and character formation
- High proficiency with technology, including the ability to learn and utilize a learning management system, online software tools like Formative and Canvas LMS, and the ability to create screencasts and simple videos.
- Consistent and dependable high speed internet access
- Experience working as part of a collaborative team of teachers, openness to providing and receiving feedback as part of a culture of transparency
- Ability to interact professionally with parents and school community members
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity, as our students come from all over the world
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development and lifelong learning
- Maturity and stability sufficient for a demanding position
- Create asynchronous lessons and assessments
- Teach live class weekly for about an hour each meeting via WebEx
- Provide synchronous and asynchronous tutoring
- Grade assessments
We have a strong need for part-time teachers in the following courses:
- Algebra 1
- Algebra 2
- PreCalculus Honors
- Advanced Calculus
- Linear Algebra
- Multivariable Calculus
- AP Statistics
- Health & Human Flourishing
- World History 8
- STEM 8