Position: Special Education Teacher
Reports to: Special Education Director/Head of School
Employee Status: Exempt
- Provides special education consultation and instruction to meet the needs of eligible students with disabilities.
- Communicates with campus staff, district special education coordinator/director, and parents/guardians information pertaining to students’ needs (such as but not exclusively: ARD paperwork, typed ARD minutes, IEP’s, BIP’s and general progress)
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Valid Texas Special Education Certificate in the appropriate area
- Ability to work effectively between the school and community
- 3 years or more working as a special education teacher or a general education teacher
- Effective written & verbal communication skills
- Intermediate data entry skills– typing speed: 60 wpm with accuracy
- CPI Certificate once employed
- Keep knowledge of computer programs: eSped, MSWord, MSExcel, Google Suite: Sheets,
Docs, Slides, Gmail
- Dyslexia training would be a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare documents and attend ARD/IEP meetings for students eligible for special education
- Type minutes during ARD meetings notating important changes in accordance with TEA’s and Aristoi Classical Academy’s requirements.
- Complete local, state, and federal paperwork required for program participation by
- Assist Special Education Coordinator/Director as needed.
- Develop instructional programs for eligible students to achieve mastery of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Collaborate with regular education teachers and related service staff to develop PLAAFP and annual goals/objectives for IEPs and to assist in providing an appropriate education for eligible students
- Administer criterion referenced testing
- Keep current and be willing to apply the state of the art educational practices
- Oversee the responsibilities of para-professionals in implementing student programs, to
include training regards data collection and implementation of specific instructional
strategies. Host routine meetings with para-professionals.
- Collect & maintain data related to student progress and grades
- Provide training support to the general education teachers
- Report progress on IEP goals/objectives and grades as stipulated by district policy & ARD
- Provide appropriate behavior management techniques to teachers and students for eligible students
- Complete State Assessment requirements for eligible students
- Communicate regularly with general education teachers and parents/guardians regarding
- Implement district practice for Critical Elements of Resource Classroom.
- Maintain confidential student records & audit folders
- Attend district required and job specific trainings & staff development (i.e., training on Autism, content specific trainings, structured settings, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned
- Personal computer, copier, printer, calculator, laminator, fax machine, and telephone.
- eSped, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Google Suite
- Maintain emotional control under stress.
- Work with frequent interruptions.
- Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing, crouching, crawling, reaching,
climbing, and pulling could be needed.
- May be required to lift and carry moderate weight, 15-44 pounds.
- Remain flexible during unexpected changes or transitions.
Acknowledgment: Any work related experience or additional education/training resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements at the sole discretion of the District Administration.
Aristoi Classical Academy is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or ability. This job description summary does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed. This job description is subject to change in response to funding variables, emerging technologies, improved operating procedures, productivity factors, and unforeseen events.