Position Objective: Provide theologically informed and classically distinct academic leadership over all levels of FBA, PK-12, with particular emphasis in overseeing the overall strategic direction of the Upper School (9-12) within the overall direction established by the Head of School and School Board. Such leadership will aim to cultivate Christ-like virtue in the lives of students and faculty members.
Position Description: The Upper School Principal/Director for Academics and Christian Virtue is a leadership position reaching across all levels of the school while providing focused leadership on the strategic direction of the Upper School. This leader will support and seek to cultivate the overall direction of FBA established by the Head of School and School Board. Additionally, he or she will work to ensure that outstanding academic standards are fulfilled and Christian virtues are inculcated through a distinctively classical model of education.
Reports to: Head of School
Supervises: Lower and Middle School Principals; Upper School Teachers; Athletic Director; Guidance Counselor
- Demonstrates a clear testimony of faith and a passionate devotion to Christ and His church.
- Meets the spiritual portrait of a leader found in 1 Timothy 3:1–7 and Titus 1:6–9 and exhibits the fruit of the Spirit as found in Galatians 5:22. He must be above reproach including a commitment to moral purity.
- Is a member of First Baptist Powell or joins First Baptist Powell within six months of beginning employment.
- Holds a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree.
- Has obtained or is willing to obtain an ACSI Administrative Certificate.
- Experience in a classical Christian setting, particularly with grades 9-12.
- Has a deep passion for truth, goodness, and beauty within the scope of a liberal arts education.
- Is a lifelong learner and reader.
- Has demonstrated supervisory leadership of faculty.
- Is motivated for excellence in all of life for the glory of Christ.
- Joyfully affirms the Baptist Faith and Message 2000 and the Abstract of Principles.
- Provide strong leadership for the students and faculty of the Upper School.
- Cultivate a culture of respect consistent with historic Christian virtue within the Upper School.
- Oversee and implement a more integrated model of education throughout all grades in which all subjects are interconnected and biblically immersed.
- Oversee a stronger emphasis on understanding and employing the trivium.
- Help recruit, develop, and care for faculty whose education philosophies and theological commitments match those of FBA.
- Champion the direction of the Upper School while casting a vision for the value and benefit of classical Christian education among faculty members, FBA families, and others in the broader Knox County community.
- Maintain excellent relationships with faculty, parents, and students.
- Provides biblically based counseling and discipleship for student discipline issues.
- Assists parents with resources, leadership, and other instruments for spiritual growth among the students.
- Oversee and support Lower and Middle School principals to maximize coherent transitions from grammar to rhetoric emphases.
- Actively participates in ministries of First Baptist Powell.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School