Gravitas, a new online program within The Stony Brook School, is seeking a dynamic Director of Academics and Character Formation to lead its faculty, support its students, and implement its academic and character programs. As the sole student-facing administrator in the startup phase of Gravitas’s development, the Director will need to possess skills and experience in online curriculum development and pedagogy, character formation, and faculty training and evaluation. The Director will report directly to the Executive Director of Gravitas and work closely with the Director to build and grow the program. Wholehearted mission alignment, high energy and strong work ethic, ability to solve complex problems as they arise, and excellent organizational and communication skills are essential for success in this entrepreneurial endeavor. This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the country’s most prestigious Christian academic institutions as a member of a talented, innovative team.
- Master’s degree minimum desired and at least five years industry experience
- Eagerness to serve in a faith-based work environment that emphasizes faithful Christian scholarship and character formation. Passion for Gravitas’s mission is critically important for all positions.
- Strong work ethic, high energy, positive attitude, flexibility, and eagerness to design solutions for problems and pursue opportunities for improvement
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to create structures and provide support to faculty, students, and families to help all members of the community flourish from the time they enroll to the time they leave for college or career
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to respond quickly to all communications
- High proficiency with technology, especially technology needed to complete core responsibilities
- Experience working as part of a collaborative team, openness to providing and receiving feedback as part of a culture of transparency
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity, as our students come from all over the world
- Commitment to professional development and lifelong learning
- Maturity and stability sufficient for a demanding position
- Consistent and dependable high speed internet access if working remotely
- Work with teachers to create courses in Canvas, with a particular focus on quality of student experience and clarity of assignments and assessments
- Create and implement policies and practices to ensure the academic success of all students
- Advise students on course registration, assist with scheduling, track academic progress, provide interventions as needed, and guide students through the college application process
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to implement a daily character formation program and then oversee advisors as they implement that program
- Oversee the creation of weekly chapel and assembly videos
- Craft and implement discipline policies and practices
- Oversee a team of academic staff and counselors once enrollment warrants growth
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume/C.V. to Dr. Sean Riley, Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org), and complete an employment application.