POSITION: College and Career Counselor
REPORTS TO: Head of Upper School
DUTY DAYS/HOUR STATUS: 233
EMPLOYEE STATUS: Exempt
HOURS: 7:15 AM - 4:00 PM Monday - Friday (Some weekends and evenings may be required)
The College and Career Counselor implements the district’s comprehensive guidance counseling program for high school students in keeping with the mission, vision, and philosophy of Aristoi Classical Academy.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficient computer skills
Responsibilities and Duties:
Parents and Students
- Work with 8th - 12thgrade students in keeping up with needed credits for graduation and conduct the College and Career Readiness (CCR) course for all 8th grade students.
- Help students develop post-secondary educational plans in accordance with their interests, abilities, and career plans.
- Assist students with the completion of college admissions applications.
- Assist the PEIMS coordinator and the head of upper school in the preparation of diploma lists and identification of honor graduates for graduation.
- Making necessary schedule changes for individual students that are both appropriate for their abilities and aligned with their educational plans.
- Conduct course selection group sessions for students and parents.
- Produce regular communications and meetings targeting juniors and seniors throughout the school year.
- Under the leadership and direction of the Testing Coordinator, assist in providing information to students and parents related to the SAT, ACT, CLT, PSAT, and ASVAB.
- Assess all submissions from students/parents who have completed approved on-line courses for high school credit.
- Manage a caseload of students, providing strategies, advice, support, and guidance to those students and their families from the application process throughout their time at the School to making the best individualized choice for college.
- Meet with students individually and in groupings to educate and empower them on how to navigate the college process, admissions trends, and individual college options.
- Counsel and assist students to identify resources for scholarships and financial aid for colleges and universities.
- Provide student and parent updates throughout the year on college application and scholarship information and deadlines.
- Create and submit materials to colleges in support of college applicants, including transcripts and references/recommendations. This may include coordinating the faculty writing of requested recommendations for students applying to college.
- Cultivate mutually beneficial working relationships with college admissions professionals and local area college counseling colleagues. Facilitate visits between students and college representatives on campus. Arrange and direct visits to relevant colleges and college fairs.
- Visit college campuses to stay abreast of university offerings and become familiar with the nuances of signature programs.
- Track trends in admissions and college counseling fields.
- Provide college scholarship resources; organize financial aid workshops.
- Must have full knowledge of Aristoi’s graduation plan, as well as the Texas Education Agency’s requirements for graduation.
- In conjunction with the Head of Upper School and the PEIMS Coordinator, help develop the master schedule for Upper School and individual schedules for US students.
- Arrange SAT and/or ACT preparatory classes to be offered on campus. May incorporate these into the daily schedule as opportunity avails.
- In conjunction with the Testing Coordinator, develop and interpret extensive summary reports on students’ progress on standardized tests.
- Pursue professional development opportunities, including attending conferences and professional meetings to remain current with industry trends.
- Be involved in the school community at large. Participate in committee, department, and staff meetings to benefit the guidance program.
- Develop and update the upper school academic handbook, accessible to both parents and staff.
- Maintain accurate files on all students and their progression through high school and into the college application process. Assures that appropriate, accurate information is maintained in each student’s permanent, cumulative record.
- Assess the transcripts of transfer students to determine the award of credits and the recommended sequences of classes. If necessary, recommend and conduct placement testing for students whose transcripts are marginal.
- Collaborate with admissions and marketing departments to convey information (within ethical and privacy limits) for the interest of prospective parents (Etc. SAT scores, college admissions, scholarship levels)
Aristoi Classical Academy is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or ability. This job description summary does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed. This job description is subject to change in response to funding variables, emerging technologies, improved operating procedures, productivity factors, and unforeseen events.